Friday 7 February 2020

Author Interview 

Sourabh Mukherjee, author of The Colours of passion talks to us about his Fascinating Writing style, what inspires him and what is he working on next….

Sourabh Mukherjee

Technology Leader | Author | Speaker

Professional profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sourabhmukherjee

Author profile: www.sourabhmukherjee.com


Question 1. Which Book of yours is Very close to your heart?


"The Colours of Passion" is very close to my heart for two reasons.

Firstly, In "The Colours of Passion", I wanted to talk about how our society has certain pre-conceived notions about human relationships. Any relationship that does not conform to acceptable definitions is quickly dismissed as immoral, illicit, or even illegal. This has been the case with same-sex relationships in our country for a very long time. While the constitutional hurdle has now been cleared, has our mindset really changed? Is the society really open to same-sex relationships? Love, at the end of the day, is love. What we need to realize is that, love and passion come in a variety of colours - it cannot be painted in only one shade.






Secondly, the book aims to unravel the dark secrets behind the limelight. I have heard stories of betrayal, conspiracy, heartbreak from my acquaintances in the entertainment and fashion industries, and I felt that, these would be the perfect ingredients for an edge-of-the-seat thriller.

  In that sense, "The Colours of Passion" has been truly hailed as India's first alternate sexuality thriller. It was long-listed in WordToScreen 2018, conducted by the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI). It was also ranked by MyBookPick.com among top Indian thrillers in 2017, and was among Top 10 New Arrivals in Starmark outlets across India in the month of its release. It was also among Amazon bestsellers for several months post-release.


Question 2. We would love to hear Your journey from a simple person to a Author.


I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have never really written for a purpose – it is just something I love to do. In my early childhood, I would spend hours writing, as well as making illustrations for my own stories. A number of my poems were published in children’s magazines back in the day. I continued to write through my teenage and later in college.

I kept writing in office magazines for a couple of years, but the demands of my career as an Information Technology professional and my travels across the world soon left me with very little time and creative energy to write fiction.

However, as I travelled across the world, I grew as a person getting to observe people from widely varying cultural backgrounds and to study their emotions, their thoughts, their behaviour from various perspectives. And stories began to grow all over again.

I won the Golden Pen Award in the Monsoon Romance Contest 2014, conducted by Sulekha.com and judged by an eminent panel of literary luminaries. That was when I decided to take my writing more seriously.

My debut novel In the Shadows of Death was published by Srishti Publishers in the winter of 2015. This was followed by The Colours of Passion in 2017, and The Sinners in 2019. I have also written three collections of short stories - Romance Shorts (2016), Beyond 22 Yards (2018), It's All About Love (2018), and a textbook Big Data Simplified (2019)

Question 3. Is there anyone for whom you are grateful throughout this journey?


I am thankful to my parents who inculcated in me the habit of reading from a very early age. You cannot be a writer, unless you read a lot. I am thankful to my wife who has supported me all through my literary journey. I am thankful to my publishers Srishti Publishers and Readomania, who published my unconventional thrillers. I am thankful to bloggers who keep writing about my books. I am thankful to the mainstream national media who, from time to time, have featured me and my books in their publications - the list includes The Hindu, The Times of India, The Indian Express, The Week, Outlook India, Business Standard, Yahoo! News, Zee News, The Punjab Tribune, The Statesman, Absolute India, Free Press Journal etc. Above all, I am thankful to my readers for showering their love and affection on my books.


Question 4. Spread few lights on your upcoming projects.


My third book "The Sinners" is already out. It unravels in a world of corporate conspiracy, illicit relationships and ruthless seduction games.


Question 5. When did you decide that you want to be a writer?


While I have been writing for a long time, winning the Golden Pen Award in the Monsoon Romance Contest 2014, conducted by Sulekha.com and judged by an eminent panel of literary luminaries, was a turning point. That was when I decided to take my writing more seriously.


Interview taken by Gulshan Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making it Big Review

  You all must have heard of wai wai noodles, the book is the autobiography of the man behind this popular and amazing noodles Mr Binod Chau...

Books Review by Gulshan Kumar