Tuesday 16 June 2020

Author Interview - Alakananda Pramanik


Author - Alakananda Pramanik


1.) Please introduce yourself.

Born in a simple and well educated family in Nagpur, Maharashtra, I was brought up in a very family oriented environment. My dad was a Mechanical Engineer & Professor in an Engineering college and a voracious reader, and my mom was a housewife, yet very fashionable, talented, energetic and multi-tasking. 

I am passionate about music, painting and writing. If the combination of these three are addicting, then I like being addicted. It gives me a high!  It is like a stress reliever and very relaxing.

I love exploring the beauty of life. I can confidently say that nothing is impossible in life. The limitations are only in our mind. I strongly believe that there is no age to begin. you can begin and learn at any age. As I started emerging I realised that I was capable of doing many things in life. 

I went for a photo shoot for Human Expression & Emotions by an upcoming photographer and realised the pleasure of modelling. Serving the needy and underprivileged became a part of life. Apart from organizing & hosting several events & workshops successfully in Kolkata, I have acted in a couple of short films too. A Bengali short film ‘Sujog – The Opportunity’ and a Hindi Short film ‘Shakti – The Strength within’, both of which were released on Women’s day 2019 and 2020 respectively. I love travelling, photography and reading too. I have a great collection of books in my personal library, and time and again I take a book out and re-read it.

Recently, I won the ‘Achiever Award 2020’ in the ‘Author Achiever’ category by Literoma. 

Each activity in my life has been uplifting, exciting and an interesting experience. 

Currently I hold a responsible position in the Credit Control team of one of India’s leading IT companies, as well as hold an honorary Senior Leadership position in one of the top e-Learning Platforms, Soulitaire.

I thank all the people who have crossed my path for tapping my potential, and helping me bring out the harder & softer side of the woman in me.



2.) As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

As a child, my dreams were nowhere near becoming an author though I used to attempt to write stories. I would dream of becoming a Pilot, play guitar and become a Rockstar. I was a tomboy during my growing years. I enjoyed climbing trees, cycling without breaks and taking risks. But I was passionate about reading novels and stories, which still continues.




3.) What is the first book that made you cry?

Not Without my Daughter’ by Betty Mahmoody.




4.) What is the most unethical practice in the publishing industry?

All Publishing companies in general operate the same way. They have charges against different category of packages. The author must weigh & compare each and decide accordingly. Other options are self-publishing. I feel that apart for some exceptions, book publishers as a whole, have to be ethical, as trying to grow easy business and fast money can only get them into the spotlight and rejected.




5.) Does writing energize or exhaust you?

Definitely energizes me. With each story completed it gives a kind of satisfaction.



6.) What are common traps for aspiring writers?

The most common trap for an aspiring writer is writing and keeping to oneself as either they are shy or are not aware how to make it visible to a larger audience. This will never help them fulfil their dreams of becoming a writer. Another trap is the feeling that everyone will love their book and it will become #1 bestseller. They love their book because they put in hours in it and wrote it. But it’s not necessary that everyone will love it. Not everyone reads the same thing. Not everyone may like the flow of it. Apart from this, there is the inability to accept critical feedback. 




7.) Does a big ego help or hurt writers?

Ego never helps. A writer with big ego can never grow. There are four things we must keep in mind - Eradicate ego, be humble, break the mental barrier and believe in yourself.




8.) Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?

‘Soul Stirrer’ is my debut book and each story was original. From the reviews that poured in abundance, I could gather that the readers loved it.




9.) Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?

A technical writer doesn’t need emotions. But a writer other than that has to be emotionally connected to their writing for the readers to connect to their story and get into the minds of the character. Writing without emotion can only be compared to material in the form of data, numbers and presentations!




10.) What message would you like to give to Budding writers?

Make reading a habit. It is very important that they read a lot.
Start small, like start writing short stories, small writeups
Join writers group, it helps a lot when you are interacting with like-minded people.
Take advise from other authors
Observer and always taking mental notes 
Write down these notes and any ideas that come in your mind immediately, because you may forget it if you leave it in your memory.
Writing and hiding it doesn’t help. Others should read what you have written. Hence, look for opportunities and ways of publishing them, even if you have to take help from your friends who may have a publishing house, or publish magazines for their organization where stories or writeups are open for any writer.
Believe in yourself and your writing, and never stop working towards your dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Making it Big Review

  You all must have heard of wai wai noodles, the book is the autobiography of the man behind this popular and amazing noodles Mr Binod Chau...

Books Review by Gulshan Kumar